– Evaluation

The overall re-design of the magazine was a success and I believe I fulfilled the brief.

I initially wanted to keep the same target audience for the magazine but re-create the structure, layout and design of it to appeal more to the current target audience, as well as making it more user friendly and easier to read.

Whilst choosing a magazine to re-create I referred back to the brief many times and wanted to go for a magazine that I had no prior knowledge of. My first thoughts was to re-create a magazine that was about cooking or baking but I felt that this wasn’t as much of a challenge, so I decided to go for ‘Classic Bus’. This definitely stood out to me in the wrong way as the magazine cover was not appealing as it was very bland and dark. I was pleased with my choice and began to research into cover designs and ways in which I could improve the cover without moving away from the audience.

I began to research into the different layouts and designs covers which I felt were successful; in terms of the way it was appealing and how it attracted the target audience. Using the research I had found I began to create a few sketches for my own designs. I created the 3 different cover designs in Adobe Photoshop as I felt this would be able to produce the best cover designs to my ability. I also chose to use this software programme as I was still unsure of how to use InDesign which was something I needed to develop on.

I was able to develop on my InDesign skills through the various lectures that enabled me to create various spreads and pages as practice and to understand the basic functions of InDesign. Using the tips and tricks from the lectures as well as further research from various websites and tutorial videos I was able to start creating the magazine.

The contents page had a very basic approach to it which I believe was executed well once printed to its correct size. The layout was simple in the fact that the main information was printed in bold and the summary of that page was situated directly underneath that. A small section of an image from that page was also used in the contents page with the page number placed on top of it. I decided to go for a simple approach as the original contents page was very cluttered and confusing to read.

I found the creation of the news section very challenging. I created my news section in form of a bulletin, as the information which was in the original magazine simply had information of upcoming events which I believed would have looked more presentable and appealing in a bulletin style. What I found challenging was the organisation of the text and trying not to over-do the design with many different typeface formats. I also had to make each box was the same size as well as the curving on each box. This had to be consistent and equal throughout.

Once I was able to understand how I was going to go about creating each section of the magazine the process became easier. I was also becoming more comfortable using InDesign and was able to use many of the functions quite efficiently. The next re-creation was the short feature which was a Q&A section. I decided to keep this section very clean-cut and easy to read. There was not a lot of images but instead a very clear design layout which lacked in the original design. The colour theme for this section was very much the same in the original design however I eliminated many other colours and used 2 typefaces in the whole design which further added to the consistent sleek design look.

The long feature was inspired by the research I had down prior to creating it. The colour choice was also inspired from the original design but tweaked a little to make it more contemporary. I wanted this feature to be more visually exciting but have all relevant information that was needed. The original design really was overloaded with text and the lack of bold, bright colours used for it made it even more bland and boring to look at.

After re-creating ‘Classic Bus’, I had a few minor changes that needed to be done. I firstly needed to align all my text to the baseline grid which I had initially created in the beginning of the creation of the magazine. Once I had aligned this I then had to make the leading and sizing of the type smaller. This made the overall look of the magazine a lot better and easier to read.

In conclusion I would say that the re-creation of ‘Classic Bus’ was very enjoyable as I learnt many new things and was able to put this into practice to create a magazine which fulfilled the brief.

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s